View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea it isnt horrific at 1.7 but it is too much for a 4th liner.......If Rupp can be moved at 1.5 then Boyle has value.....im not saying just give him away but I would deal him for a cheaper option or even a rental.........similar to Powe at 1 mil saving 500K over Rupp

Reality Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin are locked in for spots............Asham, Halpern,Powe should be the 4th line........so that leaves Pyatt, Boyle and then kids, Miller, Thomas, Kreider.............they need one or two vet rentals this yr...........I offer Boyle to Winnipeg for Antropov and say a late pick...............Jets get a guy who is under contract for a yr and Rangers get help now for the offense.......Antropov isnt tearing it up so he should have the highest value
I'm not automatically against moving Boyle, but again Halpern is going to be 37 when this season is over and I would rather keep Boyle as our 4th line C. He won't make as much on his next contract, based on the way he has played, and he is ideal for the role, and great because he can be on a #1 PK and slide up the lineup in case of injuries. The marginal amount by which he's overpaid is not enough for me to move him. I would also rather him on the fourth line with Halpern and Powe than Asham. Boyle, Halpern, Powe is a really excellent fourth line.

Yes, we could use a veteran third liner to play with Miller and Kreider. Someone better than Boyle and yes, someone of Antropov's ilk/cost would be ideal, but I'd rather offer a C level prospect and a third or a second and ADD depth, rather than swap one guy for another. Also, one reason I AM against moving Boyle is that I think part of the problem this year is that we took a tight knit, largely home grown group (even guys like Prust who weren't "home grown" in the strictest sense became legit NHL players in NY, or guys like Feds who had a kinship with AA and won a Cup with Richards and Torts earlier in his career, and guys like Mitchell who had been looking for his shot, trying to prove himself) and we showed that we're willing to ship guys out and dismantle that chemistry and that your friends in the room are not safe and could be gone tomorrow, while bringing in a bunch of new faces. The result is visible in the other thread about whether or not we're too soft of a team. That TEAM mentality where EVERYONE played like a Ranger last year and everyone blocked shots, finished checks, forechecked hard and backchecked harder is gone. I think that has a lot to do with the turnover in the room and so I don't take a well liked guy on a cheap contract like Boyle and move him just for the sake of it. He should be our fourth line center going forward. We want to add a veteran for a pick to bolster our depth, that's fine. Moving out more familiar faces is not the answer right now, IMO.

Last edited by Ollie Queen: 02-24-2013 at 12:00 PM.