View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I don't think we have a clue as to the coaching staff's teaching or lack thereof. What we do know is the players haven't learned how to score.
This is something I never understood. Guys are drafted highly because of their scoring capability/potential ... Why should it fall on the shoulders of the coaches to help these kids score at the next level? Rick Nash developed with the Jackets, and he's one of the top power forwards in the game. Sidney Crosby came into the NHL with a completely depleted Pittsburgh Penguins team; as did Alex Ovechkin in Washington.

Great players are great players because they play hard. I don't care if the coaches don't know how to shoot a puck, I care that they know how to motivate a kid, and get them to play to their full potential.

Another thing that's hurt this team (and it's been beaten to death) is the fact that they never get the top tier of talent at the draft. This is something that's starting to change, with the selection of Ryan Murray, and the high pick we'll have this year. It's always been "be just good enough to not draft in the top-3" ... So, instead of securing guys like Ovechkin/Malkin, we're selecting guys like Alex Picard, Gilbert Brule, Derick Brassard, etc ... guys who come with good skill, but big question marks ... be it injury concerns, playstyle, etc. To me, this falls less on the coaches, and more on the GM/scouting department. For a GM to consistently assemble a team that remains exactly where it is in the standings, without making serious changes, is preposterous. The one thing GMSH did do was to trade the only player other than Rick Nash that appears to be turning into something away, in exchange for a disgruntled party boy who wanted to go play elsewhere.

Hopefully the new management gets it down. I feel this is where our franchise has struggled so much over its entire existence. Coaches come and go, but successful teams remain successful through it all.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote