View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClements New A View Post
I think Gardiner is damaged/set back from his concussion. I also don't think he's conditioned yet to play a long NHL season (or even a 48 game one). he was below average to terrible in the AHL playoffs last season. he was especially bad in the Cup final. I don't think we see Gardiner until next season.

As for Reilly I think he's still 2-3 years away from playing full-time in the NHL.
This is all just baseless speculation.

I'd be willing to bet that if Morgan Rielly doesn't make the squad in 14/15, he's all but guaranteed a spot for the 15/16 team. The kid possesses elite talent and very high hockey IQ. He has little-to-nothing to gain from playing in the WHL again next season and after 10-15 games with the Marlies at the tail-end of this season we should have a better idea of his immediate future with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

You say Jake Gardiner doesn't have the conditioning to play in the NHL -- even in a 48 game one. Perhaps that's because he went from a 41 game schedule in the NCAA in 10/11 and 10GP in limited minutes with the Toronto Marlies to playing #3 minutes in 75GP on the Toronto Maple Leafs + #1 minutes over 21GP on the Toronto Marlies in 11/12.

41GP NCAA + 10GP Marlies (51GP) vs 75GP Leafs + 21GP Marlies (96GP)

That is a very considerable hike in games played with considerably more minutes per game against considerably tougher competition.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote