vCash: 500
Marty Pavelich, LW

Position: Left Wing
HT/WT: 5'11", 167 lbs
Shoots: Left
Nickname(s): "Blackie"
Born: November 6th, 1927 in Sault Ste. Marie, ON

- credited with five consecutive retroactive Selke Trophies
- 4-time Stanley Cup Champion - (1950, 1952, 1954, 1955)
- scored 93 goals and 159 assists for 252 points in 634 games, adding 454 penalty minutes.
- scored 13 goals and 15 assists for 28 points in 91 playoff games, adding 74 penalty minutes.

Quotes

Thanks to HT18 for the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Adams
Pavelich is one of the four key men around whom we built our hockey club. His scoring records never stood out, but he always had the toughest jobs - checking the great scoring right wings such as Maurice Richard. We practically had to put handcuffs on him to keep him off the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lindsay
So every night, these guys-Pavelich, xxxx, and xxxx-played against the best players the other team had. But besides stopping them, these guys, our checking line, they'd each end up with anywhere from eight to 12 goals a year. That was a tremendous advantage for the Detroit Red Wings.
Quote:
... and where Adams thought Marty Pavelich was finished. Hell, Marty could have played another five years. He was one of the best defensive hockey players in the National Hockey League. Marty Pavelich was very intelligent - probably one of the most intelligent hockey minds that was never utilized by coaching or anything like that.
Quote:
For a time, it was my job to stop the Rocket. But then, very quickly after that, because we had the Production Line, Marty Pavelich took over. Marty could put the Rocket to sleep a little bit because he was a diplomat. He didn't rile him. Marty would say, "He's great enough. I don't want to get him angry and make him greater, so I'll kind of try to subdue him a little bit."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Ivan
I don’t know how many times we’ve gone into the dressing room between the second and third periods a goal or two behind…and before I can open my mouth to say a word to the fellows, Marty starts in. Before he’s through, he’s got them all fired up, and as often as not we’ll pull out of the game with a win”
Legends of Hockey

Quote:
Usually on the ice with Tony Leswick and Glen Skov, it was Pavelich's job to shadow many of the greats of his day: Rocket Richard, Bill Mosienko, Ted Kennedy, Milt Schmidt, and the Bentley brothers.
Greatest Hockey Legends

Quote:
Marty wasn't the most explosive scorer in the league but he put up respectable offensive totals and was a 4 time NHL All Star. But his job was more that of a defensive winger. He excelled in shutting down the other team's top gun.

So good was he at shutting down the opposition, Stan Fischler, a famous hockey author, ranked him as the 4th best defensive forward of all time in his book Hockey's 100. Only Claude Provost, Joe Klukay and Ed Westfall ranked ahead Marty.

Probably Pavelich's best known opponent to shadow was Rocket Richard, who Pavelich held in high regard.

"Well, Richard, that was my job to check him for 10 years and to me, he was the greatest goal scorer of all time. Even anybody playing today. Richard would have scored … he had a knack of getting the puck to the net. He was a very determined hockey player. Very, very fierce competitor.
The Windsor Daily Star - April 1, 1955

Quote:
In a way, Pavelich was long over-due for such a snugly fitting hero's mantle. Recognized as one of the greatest penalty-killers in the game, he has never been a prolific scorer. Blessed with fine puck sense and great speed there have been scores of times when he has, by his own alertness, created such opportunities as he had last night-but not with the same result.
The Gods of Olympia Stadium

Quote:
The former general manager of Dallas, Bob Gainey, used Marty as the epitome of what it means to be a two-way forward when he played for Montreal
Detroit Red Wings Greatest Moments and Players

Quote:
His primary asset is his ability as a defensive or checking forward, and there is no one in the sport today who can match him in this department. Marty draws the assignment of checking the league’s great right wings.

Detroit attained a peak of achievement in 1952 by winning eight straight playoff games. It was much more than coincidence that the forward line headed by Pavelich and containing Tony Leswick and Glen Skov did not permit a single goal to be scored against it throughout the playoffs. In the final round of four games with Montreal – the Toronto Maple Leafs were disposed of in the preliminary round – Marty completely tamed the dangerous Richard, not permitting him so much as an assist, much less a goal.

The left wing’s secondary value to his club suggests a storybook touch, for it is wrapped around the old rah-rah theme, a rare item these days, at least in professional sports. It is a fact, though, that Pavelich is like a tonic to his teammates. Spirit is an intangible commodity, but Marty clearly bubbles over with it, spreads it among his mates. How many games have been won by the Red Wings as a result of Marty’s morale boosting, hustle, and defensive work cannot be estimated, but the figure must be considerable.

Pavelich torments the man he’s covering. He makes passing difficult, shots almost impossible, and as often as not he steals the puck. The mere presence of this 170-pounder on ice, players from the other team will tell you, makes it tough to get a goal.

Last edited by Velociraptor: 02-26-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote