View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
CoolForumNamePending

vCash: 500
I know I have said this in at least one of the other 200 odd threads (who knows maybe even earlier in this one) dealing with same topics but I am thinking the first two national federations that would object to the idea of excluding Canada and the US from the WC would belong to the countries of... well... Canada and the US.

I also don't see the WC going away in Olympic years. The WC is the main cash cow for the IIHF. I wouldn't expect the NHL (or any other league) to shorten their season in Olympic years so I am not sure why we should expect the IIHF to cancel their entire 'crown jewel' tournament. The way the tournament ladder is currently structured skipping every 4th year would also mess things up, especially for the smaller nations that aren't playing in the Olympics. Finally, for all the talk about no one caring about the WC I would be willing to bet it can more often than not lay claim to having the largest audience for any single hockey game in the calendar year.

At this point I am pretty much resigned to international hockey remaining a hodge-podge of tournaments. The situation is hardly perfect but it isn't the end of the world either.

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 02-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.