View Single Post
Old
07-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I don't see much point in it... what do we need Bonk's cap room for? Sending him down would only stir up trouble that we don't need to stir up. I don't think a Chipchura or Lapierre can beat him out in camp. Or at least, he'd have to fall so far off the minimal standards of NHL professional conditioning and preparation that it's really hard to imagine. Now, it might be another matter if Bonk just starts off as uselessly in the regular season as he started last year. Maybe he could "earn" a demotion by playing bad enough for the first month or two of the year. But I don't think it would happen out of camp. Equally likely, I could see him rebounding and challenging Ribeiro's job. Neither extreme is likely, of course.

The safe middle ground is that he'll be a decent 3rd/4th line PK guy again who can chip in 20-30 pts and occasionally play on a higher line if injuries require it. No need to dream up extreme doomsday scenarios for no reason. We don't need his cap room for anything else, and the Habs aren't going to make themselves an attractive UFA destination for the future by stuffing vets on unattractive contracts in the minors. We can live with his salary, and it goes away next year. No need to get carried away about it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote