View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
RomersWorld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
There is no east or west anymore. Chicago will see the other O6 teams the exact same amount as New York will. It is just the new 'northeast+FLA' conference that will be stacked with O6 teams.

This new arrangement may end up being preferable, schedule wise, for the Blackhawks. Now, in stead of getting Detroit 3 times and maybe one home game against a couple of the other O6 teams, now the Hawks know that every single year they will host each of their 5 original 6 rivals. Now Hawks fans get to see Detroit, Boston, New York, Toronto and Montreal come to town at least once a year, in addition to the rivalries that will develop in their new division, and everyone else at least (or in the positive sense, for boring, non-draw franchises, only) once a year. Instead of that second visit from Phoenix or Anaheim (no offense intended to those teams), now you are getting a visit from Montreal, New York or Pittsburgh.

Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota and Winnipeg form a pretty great corridor of travellable road trips as well. Frankly, once you get past the loss of the Detroit rivalry, I think Chicago does pretty well with this alignment.

As a Leaf fan, who's team has jumped around a bit, I think I can say that rivalries comes and go. I loved the Leafs playing in the old Norris division, but I have grown to love their current division just the same. When it comes to fans getting passionate about a certain opposing team, I find it really doesn't matter as much who the other team is so much as it is just that they are doing it to your team. A couple of nasty divisional playoff games between Chicago and the Jets or the Wild and Detroit leaving the division won't seem so terrible.
Once you get past that Chicago loses their rival? Well, yeah...that is easy to say. That was the only thing that most of us cared about. Retaining St Louis and Detroit were the most important things of the entire realignment. Great...we have the Jets who nobody cares about. You really think a rivalry between the Winnipeg Jets and Chicago Blackhawks could ever be as good as a Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks rivalry?

And this is without having any meaningful playoff series in a long time. The matchup in 09 was very one sided but one win by the Hawks and the Wings would no doubt be back into it.

Detroit Pistons - Chicago Blackhawks = wow, great rivalry especially early in the late 80s early 90s when Jordan couldn't beat Isiah Thomas and company..until finally in the WCF the Bulls beat them and win their first championship. Jordan and Isiah hated each other.

Detroit Lions - Chicago Bears = Not a lot lately, but I still enjoy the rivalry. A couple dirty hits from scum bad Ndong Suh and it gets the fans blood rushing with hate. I remember growing up watching Barry Sanders and wanting like hell to stop him. The games are always fun and sometimes hate filled by the players.

Detroit Tigers - Chicago Whitesox = Don't know much about the rivalry honestly, but I know Whitesox fans can't stand the Tigers. Hard to have a good rivalry when there are so many more Cubs fans than Sox fans but I know there is bad blood in the AL Central from these two teams. I know the Sox call them their main rival, not too sure about the Detroit side.

Detroit Red Wings - Chicago Blackhawks = The two teams to play each other the most in NHL history. Tons of history behind this rivalry going back in the day when the two owners absolutely despised each other and tons of hate...the fans have always had a dislike for each other and it seemed this rivalry was just starting to heat up again after years of crappy Hawks teams and dominant Wings teams...

But, now it looks like the NHL will be the only league of the 4 that doesn't have a Detroit and Chicago team in the same division, lets not even talk about a 7 team conference. Even in the 4 team division they are together. It makes all the sense in the world to keep them together but that must be why the NHL has decided to part them. The last proposal was fine...why did they have to screw Chicago and St Louis? I am honestly disgusted right now that they screw this rivalry like they did the to us with the Leafs and North Stars. There are no positives to this IMO when all they had to do was one single thing to keep Hawks fans happy and they couldn't even do that.