View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Mantha Poodoo
The Wheeled Winger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The problem is expansion IS coming. I hope everybody accepts that by now. The two best expansion locations by a country mile are Quebec City and Markham (Toronto2). NO U.S. team should be used for expansion. Expansion teams usually SUCK early. You want Canadian teams for that. The fans will get upset but still flock the arenas. Sucking will be greeted with apathy, otherwise. You definitely don't want that. If Phoenix has to go, then move it to Seattle. And forget about trying to forcefeed other markets in the U.S. Geography is a terrible argument to bring in both Seattle and Portland over Quebec City or Markham.

THAT is why we have to stop bringing Western Conference teams into the Eastern Conference. Winnipeg is coming to the Western Conference, which is good, but two more Eastern teams are on the way. That's mainly why Detroit needs to stay in the West. Aside from the fact they have now established themselves in the Western Conference and identified as such. It's like trading your captain. You don't trade your captain. Well, you don't move the captain of the Western Conference to the East.

So, perhaps some outside-the-box thinking is required here to make this thing work. Because if this new realignment and Detroit's demands force the league to NOT expand to Quebec City and Markham, then they'd only be shooting themselves in the foot.
I have my suspicions that QC or Markham are not in the league's current plans for expansion. At this point, I think Seattle, Houston, and KC are all favored (with one of those potentially being a relo option for Phoenix). The present alignment proposal may be a hint at that. I strongly suspect the BoG and particularly the US media powers within are eyeing large untapped US markets west of the Mississippi.

QC or Markham (Definitely not both) will be a fallback option if something doesn't pan out, and only for a very large expansion fee. Both won't happen; there's no way in hell the US media powers allow greater than 1/4 the league be Canadian teams at this point.

Personally, I'd like to see a Quebec team, but I think it's much less of an option than some people are hoping. They're looking like a tertiary option.