View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well, the thing is, the team is also grooming Galchenyuk, so if it comes down to having Galchenyuk or Eller at Center... well, I'd really rather have Galchenyuk to be honest.

The "move back Gally to wing" for now basically opens a Center spot for Eller, so it's kindof a moot point otherwise. If anything, if Gally DOESN'T play center, then Eller does (in the Top-9). That's pretty obvious.

I think you missed my explanation for the depth chart, though... If a player is, say, 4th on the depth chart, it means there are three players ahead of him. Three better players. That 4th guy could be 2nd on a bad team and 7th on a better team. Hence my thesis that the lower a player is on the depth chart, the better it is for the team.
The thing is, Eller is already good defensively and his faceoffs, while not good, are improving from last year. Which matters more for centers. I'd rather Gally at this point focus on his offensive game, which he can do perfectly fine on the wing. Plus getting him to be comfortable at multiple positions is a good thing. Gally is 19, there is absolutely no reason to give him the responsibilites of a two way center right now when we have Plekanec and Eller on this team.

I think on a deep team playing on the 3rd line is not an insult. The 4th line is another story, a player with some offensive upside like Eller should not be playing on the 4th line, at that point we might as well trade him. Not to disrespect 4th liners because I have nothing but love for White and Moen, but it pretty much writes off Eller as nothing more than he is right now.