View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Tortorella clarified his retaliation policy 3 years ago - he will not penalize players if they are sticking up for their teammates. Last year's team certainly had no issue protecting their teammates under Torts.

This is from 2010:

Quote:
"Not only Dubi there for Gabby, but any situation where one of our players is taken advantage of, that must be addressed right away. That's part of the team concept and camaraderie we're trying to put together here."

Tortorella spent much of the year preaching discipline and the necessity of staying out of the box. But much of the time the message seemed to be mixed, or perhaps misinterpreted by the athletes who often were reluctant to become engaged on behalf of a teammate, for there is a distinction between a good penalty and a bad penalty.

"I don't think I was misunderstood, because there were different times during the year when the situation was addressed," Tortorella said. "But to be clear, the extra penalty that Dubi got in that situation against Toronto, that's the type of penalty you kill off.

"Our players are going to look after each other. That's the kind of team I want and that's the type of team we'll have. We're going to protect one another. We will not allow our top players to be targets."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...TJgajAgoFcuT2H

We had a lot of turnover over the summer, we lost some homegrown guys and some players who epitomized the Rangers' hard-working identity. This team has yet to forge a collective identity. They better do so quickly or our opponents will continue to exploit this weakness.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote