View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Winnipeg will 'disappear' if they're not in a division with Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. They'll be stuck in no-man's land. They'll never figure prominently on HNIC if they're not at least road teams on the second half of double-headers. Putting them in a division with all American teams is a terrible idea. Might as well leave them where they are. It makes no sense.
As a Winnipeg Jets fan, I could care less about being in a division with other Canadian teams. Been there, done that. And honestly, with regards to HNIC, it should just be renamed Hockey Night in Toronto already. Screw these 1PM or 3PM start times on weekends. Most people in Winnipeg would rather watch TSN Jets than the sorry excuse for a D level broadcast team in standard def CBC scrounges together. It's not like we're not going to play Canadian teams, either. We're not in a division with any Canadian teams right now and we still seem to have a fair number of games against them.

Quote:
I just don't see the point of bringing back the "Winnipeg Jets" if not to bring back their rivalries with the Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. Smythe Division hockey is something the NHL should want to try to recreate.
The Jets were also in the Norris division. It's not like it's set in stone. And as much as I enjoy seeing the Canucks, Oilers, and Flames come to town, it's really not that big of a deal. You're not going to recreate the Gretzky era by recreating the same division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuts View Post
As a Winnipeg Jets fans there were three things I was hoping for from the realignment

1) Get the Jets out of the SE - check
2) Home & Home with every out of conference team - check
3 Same division as Minnesota - road trips here I come! - check

So I am quite happy with this proposal, having Detroit would have been nice but you can't have everything...
I wouldn't have minded staying in the SE for another season or two. It's been fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Do you think it is a big deal to be the only Canadian team in the division/conference?
Quote:
What is bigger than Canadian media coverage in hockey? No, seriously.
Question wasn't directed at me, but I say no. Of all cities in the NHL, Minnesota is geographically the closest to Winnipeg. Who cares if they're not Canadian? In fact, it's better not to deal with other Canadian media all the time. Like Toronto's. Who wants Leafs fans infesting their arena. Not I. Reading articles about hockey from anyone based in Toronto is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Bring on Chicago and Minnesota and the rest. While we may not have a rivalry with Chicago, there are a bunch of interesting and understated hockey related connections between the two cities.