View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
My main issue with Torts system is mainly around the overuse and implementation of the "stretch pass".

I get why he does it. Torts wants to keep the opposing team honest, so that they do not overcommit on the attack. Also, that our Dmen are giving defensive coverage in our end in case of turn overs in the neutral zone.

But, it is so unbelievably ineffective imo, save for a few set plays here and there. Its almost willingly giving up the puck to opposing team. Our forwards are too far up ice and stationary in the neutral zone. That doesn't even take into account the times where those passes get intercepted by opposing players anyways.

How the hell are you going to penetrate a zone consistently when your forwards have no momentum half of the time?

You can't even do proper dump ins because our forwards are usually flatfooted when the puck is entering the offensive zone.

its awful, its ALWAYS been awful(including last year).
Finally an intelligent post about this subject. With some detail and break down.

Its impossible around here lately to find meaningful discussion about this.

While I personally have no complaints about the systems in place I do have quarrel about some of the personnel to run them.

I agree, its not in favor of pucj possession aside from below the goal line in the offensive zone. Its structure is to force the opposition into favorable patches of ice and to force mistakes.

You'd think that a quick strike player like Gaborik would relish this because he doesn't necessarily need to be physical as much as just skate hard to be in those spots to gain possession and quickly attack the net. He hasn't put in the effort to win those races to pucks nor engaged in support. That needs to change.

The only player we have that can play with some free reign and still be effective every shift is Nash. He has the ability to carry and gain the zone on his own.

The set plays are in place to help the rest of them. It should work.

The "jam" that Torts always alludes to isn't necessarily or exclusive to just physical play. Its a gritty mind set. Skating hard winning races. Not giving up on second efforts. That's part of what makes his systems successful. The no quit mentality of the roster last year is the kind of attitude we need now.

Opening up, its not wise IMO. Longer passes to stretch the opposition. Specifically east-west. Grounds for a lot of prime scoring chances against. Odd man rushes.

We have also had incredible bad luck finishing. We have generated good scoring opportunities and just failed to capitalize.

The power play is where we should be more creative but we aren't. That's a big problem.

We need a Dan Boyle, Brian Campbell type on the blue line. A guy who can change tempo. Skate the puck. Improve our transition. Gaining the 200 feet has been an issue, particularly on the power play.

These rash of injuries is certainty going to hurt our trade options and leverages, as well.

I don't see the sky falling.To me Tortorella is the right guy with the right attitude. We need a few personnel changes. More speed. More effort.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote