View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Is there an inherent inability to use a short passing game to progress up the ice? I can see no reason why the Rangers should not be able to make their way up the ice at least as well as, oh let's pick a team that does it much better, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The key is, why can't the Rangers get in without dumping? I don't think they should be reckless either, and sure, dump it in if you have to. The problem is, and oh yes, it is definitely a problem, that they don't have good enough support for each other in a nice, compact short passing game. If they cannot get better at that, they will have to do the dump-in, which is really a roll of the dice these days as to which team gets possession.
Because most of our forwards are below average puck carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
My main issue with Torts system is mainly around the overuse and implementation of the "stretch pass".

I get why he does it. Torts wants to keep the opposing team honest, so that they do not overcommit on the attack. Also, that our Dmen are giving defensive coverage in our end in case of turn overs in the neutral zone.

But, it is so unbelievably ineffective imo, save for a few set plays here and there. Its almost willingly giving up the puck to opposing team. Our forwards are too far up ice and stationary in the neutral zone. That doesn't even take into account the times where those passes get intercepted by opposing players anyways.

How the hell are you going to penetrate a zone consistently when your forwards have no momentum half of the time?

You can't even do proper dump ins because our forwards are usually flatfooted when the puck is entering the offensive zone.

its awful, its ALWAYS been awful(including last year).
I think this comes down to what I've been saying the biggest problem for this team is right now: lack of good puck carriers. When no one can take the puck and go with it you can try to avoid having to do that with long passes. As for standing around again it's because no one wants to carry the puck for any real time. The problem isn't "the system" it's that these guys force us to have to play this way. And even then, last year showed this can work. But in order for it to work everyone has to have an intense work ethic and commitment and it has seemed to be lacking this year. We can't afford to be at anything less than 100%, Torts has said that all the time. We're no good enough not to, Torts said that to the media all the time last year, I think some guys have it in their heads that that isn't the case this year.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote