View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think your friend is looking at the big picture.

They had flash and Mueller both as top six guys with big time health concernes. They also had Gali and Winnik as underperforming bottom six guys.
Winnik was not underperforming. He just wasn't scoring. That's not what he does. He's a solid defensive forward and continues to be one. I don't mind the trade, but the three best defensive forwards this team had from last season (O'Reilly, Winnik, McClement) are now gone. John Mitchell can't replace all of them.

Quote:
He improved the team by bringing in McGinn and Downie, along with a couple prospects.
Didn't mind those acquisitions either...though the loss of Quincey was never addressed and compounded since Liles was already gone. The offense from the blueline was left to Johnson and Hunwick, and I think we can all agree that Hunwick is not an adequate puckmoving defenseman.

Quote:
The team had a problem being a soft and small defensive core. He improved that by bringing in O'Byrne who was very solid in his role up until this year, and adding Hejda who for the most part has been pretty solid, albeit maybe a few hundred thousand overpaid.
And yet they're playing softer than ever in the defensive zone.

I thought the O'Byrne trade was a great one and have defended it every time, even though it was a costly one. It's fine to add one big, slow, physical defenseman when you have a fast, mobile blueline. But then to add more slow, physical defenders with limited or no puck skill (Hejda, O'Brien, Zanon) not only made O'Byrne redundant, it exposed the fact that he has NO puck skill whatsoever. It's like Sherman forgot that if you don't have any puck skills, you can't control the play in the defensive zone at all, and when you can't do that, you can't get the ****ing puck out of the zone. This team has gone from having a defense that got bumped around and pinned in their own zone to a defense that gets skated around and pinned in their own zone. I liked the defense that gave up a lot of goals and scored a lot of them better than the defense that gives up a lot of goals and didn't score a single frickin' one until Tyson Barrie did last week against the Preds.

I suppose he filled the roster up with meatheads because he didn't want to have to start Barrie or Elliott with the team. But if that was the plan, it was a miserable failure because they not only had to keep Barrie on the team (and in the press box for a good long time), they had to rush Elliott onto the roster fresh from a serious knee injury. Yeah...not great talent development there. How the Avs thought for a moment they could ice a competent team with a blueline this inexcusably bad to start the year is mind-boggling to me. In fact I find it insulting. Unless you're aiming to tank on purpose, you don't do that. And if they honestly are TRYING to tank, then I really want Sherman gone.

And sorry, I think Hejda's been largely a disappointment thus far.

Quote:
He knew he needed to bring Duchene some help, and someone who could control the play a bit, and feed Duchene so he brought in PAP.
So far, so good on that front. Unfortunately signing Jones to a similar contract is not working so far. We'll see though.

Quote:
He knew they needed help from a center ice perspective with the loss of McClement, so he brought in Mitchell.
Not arguing with that tradeoff as of yet, but it's too bad he's completely botching things with our other top PK forward...but I've said my piece on that. That has more to do with his boss than him.

Quote:
He addresses the small to medium sized needs of the team just fine. These are areas where a lot of teams have trouble with.

It's the bigger pieces that need to be addressed, and a whole lot goes into play with that, whether it's the risk factor of throwing crazy contracts at UFA, the availability of players via trade, or his owners willingness to spend a certain amount at this point of the rebuild. He needs a couple more years to see where this hybrid plan of patience with spending, and aggressive trades fall into place. IMO it has the chance of working out great, if just a couple more pieces fall into place and they can ditch these injury woes.
Sorry, I still maintain that he didn't have to throw money around to ice a better team than he did at the start of this season. If you're okay with him icing a team this season that had nothing but EJ and a bunch of pylons on D, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not okay with it. Even the Islanders did more to address their issues regarding offense from the blueline than the Avs did.

I think, by themselves, his trades have, for the most part, worked out. Put together though and he's made enough mistakes, especially on defense, that make me openly question if he really has a plan.

He can redeem himself big-time if he somehow squeezes out a win on the O'Reilly trade. I don't think he will though. I just don't have confidence in Greg the Bean Counter anymore.