View Single Post
02-25-2013, 01:15 AM
vCash: 1050
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I think you oversimplified the dump and chase stuff along with shooting and passing. I agree with the general point, but you get too hyperbolic imo.

We shot blocked last year a ton, I think we actually haven't seen enough of it this year. I don't see the icings as much of an issue either.

As for the roles being mixed up, I think that's getting throw around here way too much. Go back and watch Gaborik's goals the past few years, most of them are right around the net. That being said I think Gabby taking shots from the point on the PP is interesting, I would definitely like to see him as the focal point of the PP instead of Richy.
There has been a dip in actual shot blocking this season, but the shot blocking mentality is still perceived or taught to be the main game plan. And I think that's where some of this loss of identity started: With the loss of guys who were some big blockers for us, we expected the new comers to fill those spots and it didn't happen. So why not just scratch the idea that shot blocking is going to be the team's forte? I don't mind if some of them excel at it and want to, but maybe we don't need 3 guys sliding around in front of Lundqvist/Biron in an attempt to block a shot (which, due to Ranger luck, inevitably deflects off one of those blockers ).

The icings aren't really as much of a problem as instinctively tossing the puck away. I don't know, the Rangers tend to look very anxious/nervous in their own zone when there's the slightest bit of pressure compared to other teams.

As far as oversimplifying shooting/passing, I don't understand? Getting shots through is and has been one of our biggest problems, they have to find a way to get some of those shots through traffic to some extent and then fight for the rebound/lose puck. Passes seem to get flubbed relatively often with this team (whether in the neutral zone or offensive zone) and I absolutely understand that not every single pass is going to be perfect and not every single pass recipient is going to perfectly catch every pass, but it just seems like the frequency should be a lot lower.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote