View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 07:35 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I guess my post came off aggressive - wasn't meant to be aggressive towards you!

I just have never understood the thought that it's up to the coach to develop their skills.
I think its fair to say that coaching can "polish" skills, but cannot teach them. Certainly there is something to say for not getting the "top talent" at these drafts, but one thing coaching can do is "meld" these guys into a cohesive unit, be it through granting or taking away ice time, smartly pairing up players with history or chemistry, and managing egos in the room along with the team's leadership group.

Just looking at those three things, and couple that with the lack of consistent, effective, team leadership, its easy to see why these coaches are failing when they come here.

Part of the reason coaching has failed here is the lack of a strong player leadership department. Hopefully, with the guys we have now, that starts to change. But we need a coach that can knock the first two things (handling ice time, chemistry) out of the park, and for some reason, we've never really had that.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote