View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 07:39 AM
NS Bluenoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicryptic View Post
Great post, I agree with all of it. Drouin is not going to be able to dangle the whole team in the NHL. He's not going to be Able to float and be anemic in the dirty areas. He's not going to be able to put his head down for so long or rely on his hands to generate the mAjority of his offense. Whereas mackinnons game should translate very well very quickly. I do have faith that drouin is smart enough to adjust and will be a star in the NHL. But mackinnon will likely also be a star with less offensive potential but less downside risk.
Drouin doesn`t skate around with his head down... or rather, he knows exactly what is happening around him. For a guy who dangles through traffic as often as he does, he never gets hit in that way. Almost everytime, he shifts out of the way of oncoming checkers.

And its not like he tries to stickhandle through a team like he did there on a regular basis. Usually he he slips by guys with ease on simple toedrags or head fakes. He is certainly capable of having shifts like this one we are talking about, but on a regular basis its the small, subtle moves that leave people standing still. That should translate to the NHL level pretty well. Like Crosby, he can come off the boards and while everyone is falling over themselves trying to cover his pass target, he can explode into the open ice and finish.

I do agree with whats said though - MacKinnon has a higher floor and is a safer pick to be an impact player at the NHL level, but Drouin has a higher ceiling if he keeps getting stronger, but has a bit more risk given his style.

Most would be shocked though if Drouin fails (or underwhelms) at the NHL level. His work ethic and passion and skill is too high.