View Single Post
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
That hasn't really been the case. Well, it was more so last game against the Rangers than usual, but Therrien has definitely not been rolling 4 lines. Plekanec has averaged 20:03 to White's 9:43. Even strength is closer, 14:25 to 8:10, but it's still a matchup game, no rolling. That top line is being heavily relied on, to the point where I think some burn out in the playoffs is possible.
Plekanec plays 20 minutes a game. That's because he's on both special teams units and he takes a lot of draws both the offensive and defensive zones. After him it drops off though. Gionta plays 18:48 a game. Bourque - 17:35. Desharnais - 16:33. Cole - 15:36. Patches - 15:23. Eller - 13:33. Prust - 13:02. Galchenyuk - 12:14. Average TOI/G for Montreal's top 9? 15:52. Chicago's top 9 averages 16:44. Anahiem averages 16:40. Pittsburgh average 16:16. Yes, it's less than a minute per game difference. But those minutes add up. Considering how many problems we had with injuries last year its even more critical to make sure the amount of ice time our players get is very controlled.

The control MT is exercising over TOI is even more apparent on the blueline. Our top guy (Markov) gets about 24 minutes a night and our bottom guy (Frank the Tank) takes about 19 an a half minutes. In Chicago Duncan Keith plays a little bit more than 24 minutes night, but Brookbank is taking only 12 and a half minutes. In Anahiem Beauchemnin gets 24 and Lovejoy gets 17. It Pittsburgh Letang sees about 26 minutes a night and Engellend about 13 and a half.

Does this mean we're going to be better going into the playoffs? I don't know. In a shortened season I question the value with an eye to the post season. Most of the guys on the team are used to playing full 82 game seasons so they should have lots left in the tank after this shortened season. However it will prove exceptionally valuable over the course of the compressed schedule as it limits day to day fatigue.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote