View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't even see people complaining about the system. That's just a typical "i'm right!" argument from probably weeks ago.

Or he's thinking people posting about our blown leads (and blaming it on Bylsma) as a schematic issue? I have no clue. But while on topic, I definitely hate blaming a coach when it's the players continuing to blow leads, but it's become the norm. Unfortunately when something happens like that, you can't fire every player and have to put the blame on the coaching staff for not fixing it. 5 times in the last year we've lost 2 goal leads to Philly. How many blown leads have we seen this year, too? It's just a huge issue. No other way to put it.

In fact, a blown 3 goal lead probably made the difference in that Pens/Flyers series. I'd be interested to see what happens if we don't blow that lead.

Once or twice - I say "oh well, it happens in the NHL." How many times we've done it becomes an issue.
I agree with this being an issue. I also heard someone mention that the Pens, especially the high end talent guys, try to protect a lead by adding more to it, instead of thinking Defense first. Maybe this is why DB is trying to use the 3rd and 4th lines a little more. Maybe he feels that guys like Adams and Vitale don't have the top end skill to always be thinking about scoring and thus are more willing to think defense first?

Once again, if we were just consistently getting outplayed from the drop of the puck, I'd say that is more on coaching. However, we are not getting outplayed a lot. We've scored first a lot this year, and we have built 2-3 goal leads. That usually means that the plan is working. I honestly think that when we build quick leads that the team starts just get hungry for more and wants to win by 10, instead of gearing down and holding on to 2.

That being said. I would like to see a little more mixing it up on the break out. Getting the forwards down a little lower more often, and then mixing in the stretch. I still however think that no matter who is coaching, players make decisions on the ice in every system, and bad decisions by a player make any coach's system look bad.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote