View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I'm firmly in the trade Orpik camp. He really brings less than nothing to this team except the occasional big hit. I was yelling for him to hit the guy in front of the net with his purse. For being "physical" it is hilarious that Paul Martin is getting guys out of the trajectory of pucks on net better.

Yah it's a tough concept to accept because he's been a pillar of the D for so long (we assume "he has to be in the mix"). But truthfully if you take away the "he's the only guy who can hit someone into next week" stuff and look at his contributions (including to recent GA), he's not a strength for our D right now. Unquestionably you have to consider whether his replacement has the playoff experience, but Orpik is not the guy he used to be out there IMO. With all our young D coming up... if we could get a solid rental with playoff experience to step in for Orpik this year, giving Bortuzzo the experience he needs this year and next without being "the man"... maybe he can work his way onto that top pairing by next playoff.

Might be better to trade him now when teams can expect to have him under contract for another season, then to let him go to FA looking for his final "big contract". Someone would definitely be willing to give him a raise out there and I don't want us to do that given the other priority signings we have to make next year.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote