View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Colorado doesn't have a huge need for Byfuglien that is certainly understandable.

I agree ROR is a good player and if he can keep the same offensive pace or pick it up a bit it would go a ways in justifying that salary but if he doesn't he is not even close to worth that. That is obviously the dilemma in Denver they don't believe he is currently worth that price so I don't think other teams are going to be clamouring to give up assets to sign him at that price either. If the Avs don't want to sign him as a 5 million a year player they are going to have a hard time trading him as one IMO.

If the first pick does end up in the top 5 then your right it would not look very smart if they traded it. It would make no sense to add to ROR to trade him when they can just lower their asking price for him.
I think it's more a philosophical difference in how organizations handle second contracts than anything. Avs believe a player should have a short bridge deal after his ELC.

Some others, including Winnipeg, don't mind guys backing up the money truck and get a long second contract when they come off their ELC.

I don't get the feeling Avs view O'Reilly as less valuable than any other team does. They just insist on young players buying in and signing bridge deals.