Thread: Raptors Discussion: v26: Chuckers Gonna Chuck II: Chuck Harder
View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
socratic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Your comparison/parable makes no sense in this context. I'm not telling them to lose games on purpose or to refuse anything or any other comment of the sort. I was just addressing that they're not good enough as it stands to make any serious noise in the playoffs. They'd likely just get run out in 4 straight. And given that they've got to give up a draft pick sooner or later, they might as well lose it now in a crap draft as opposed to potentially missing out on the playoffs in the next couple years and losing the opportunity to get a stronger player out of that pick.

Also I made absolutely no assertion that they should only go for it if they're top 4. I think that next year they can and should run as far as they can. They'll almost certainly be a better team than they are now, and even if that likely only places them in the 6-8 range, I think they could still potentially do some damage. I don't see that out of this year's squad.
Fair enough. Though I think that saying "I am okay with them not making the playoffs" is the same as being okay with them losing games. Admittedly, it's not the end of the world if that happens. I just don't understand why a fan would hope that they don't make the playoffs now.

To me that is the equivalent of turning away your favourite dessert because you think someone might come by in an hour with a larger serving of your favourite dessert.

The truth is we have a chance to make the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 straight years, and if we do, we give up a late first rounder in 2017. Now we may not make the playoffs any of those years, but I'd rather bring a sign to the games that says "Lets do playoffs!" than "Let's come 9th so we don't have to deal with uncertainty!"