View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
MNNumbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Your idea doesn't solve the fundamental issue hte PA has with the 4 divisions. There's a 57% chance of making hte playoffs in a 7 team conference while only a 50% in an 8 team conference. Determining the final playoff spot in an interesting way in an 8 team conference doesn't change the fact that only 4 out of the 8 make it.
cheswick,

I understand your reasoning here, and I agree with it. However, I also believe that the real question is not "Do I agree or disagree?" but rather "Does the PA agree or disagree?"

I will submit the idea that right now, WE DON'T KNOW. We know that the PA expressed concerns about 2 things 14 months ago: 1) Travel 2) Playoff equity.

We don't know if this release by HNIC is a leak from the NHL or not. We don't know how much input the PA had into it.

That said, I could see the PA saying "57% in 7-team conferences. 50% in 8-team conferences. If we playoff the 4-5 teams in the 8-team conferences, that's like 4.5 teams making the playoffs. 56%. Very close. We are ok with that."

The math really doesn't make sense to me. But, to further the discussion, while those mini playoffs are happening, the 7-team conferences will get an extra day or 2 of rest. From the PA standpoint, that makes sense to me if it is the western conferences, who have more travel, are the ones getting the benefit.

My 2 cents. Fire away...