View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Disagree. His effort resembled Arnott's for the better part of his tenure in Dallas; inconsistent at best.

Btw, I think NY has less of an effect on players than it does attract players who are prone to signing big contracts and following that up with less than stellar effort/bad luck.
I don't know how you can say that. He put up top 5 centre numbers in Dallas. Wasn't always playing at an elite level but he never played at an elite level in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I can't comment on other sports, but this is just selective memory in hockey's case.

For every Gomez or Richards that regresses after going to NYC, you have a Girardi, Prust, Boyle, or Stralman who excels and revitalizes their careers. In fact I'd say the biggest difference is age, and that happens in every market. Free agents regress all the time after signing big contracts with new teams - partly because their best years are behind them, partly because of system/environment changes. There's a million examples of this every year, not just in NYC.

That's not even mentioning the players who NY drafted or developed who go on to excel in the "pressure cooker," like Lundqvist, Callahan, Staal, etc. By the way, the idea that NYC is a pressure-filled city for hockey players is somewhat ridiculous as well. Sure there's a passionate fanbase and the stands are filled every night, but the amount of media coverage Rangers get compared to the Yankees, Giants, Knicks etc is miniscule. The players have even said they enjoy being able to blend into the crowd here in New York. In a city of 8 million, there's enough fans to make a passionate fanbase; but percentage of population wise, its not even close to a Canadian market, or even one like Minny/Boston.
You have to include other sports when discussing the New York effect on players but I as well don't know much about the other sports. Self-developed players rarely have this problem unless they're weak mentally but look at all the free agent busts. Free agents bust everywhere but its an epidemic with New York sports teams. In every sport

I get the the New York media is on other teams more but the Rangers get their fair share of media attack. In Dallas Richards never had a negative word spoken about him, in New York when the Rangers are brought up it's different. Minnesota is a bigger hockey market but they're similar to Dallas in that they're a positive hockey market, they don't criticize the team often. Teams like New York, Boston, Philly, Toronto and Montreal are negative markets, where the media tends to critize the team often.

I'd take Richards back in Dallas, he's not the 90 point center but he could be a 70 point buy. A top six of Benn - Richards - Jagr , Whitney - Roy - Eriksson is even better then ours now. Benn can stil play center on the penalty kill and if he gets better at faceoffs take them for Richards.