View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 01:10 PM
tazzy19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
To me Lemieux is the only guy close to the Gretzky. If i was starting a team tomorrow Super would be the first pick. I think Mario was better in his healthy prime then Wayne. The Great One had a much longer career so he gets probably the greatest of all time tag.
To me this isnt like baseball or basketball. Ruth and jordan without a thought.
But the answer is simply No. Lifetime talents in a much higher scoring era cannot be matched in the future. That is only my opinion/prediction.
Wow, this is a bold claim. Sure, Mario was amazing in his prime. But Gretzky's prime? I'll let the results speak for themselves. Mario doesn't even crack the top 4 point seasons of all time, or the top 7 assist seasons of all time (all of those belong to Gretzky in either case). Goals? Mario doesn't even crack the top 3 (Gretzky owns the top 2). PPG over a season? Gretzky owns the top 2 as well. Mario's fabled 160 point season in 60 games? Gretzky had 175 in 60 games in 83-84. How about 8 straight MVP awards (and 9 in 10 years)? That's a pretty nifty prime, I would say. And let's not talk about the playoffs....cause then it just gets out of hand in Gretzky's favour.