View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
Correcton time:The big issue isn't about travel costs. Anyone who has followed this for any length of time knows it's about 1) television and 2) correcting the culmination of the issues regarding the alignment and matrix for the past 15 years.If you have to ask the question, you obviously haven't been paying attention how hard it is.This isn't about the fans of the Red Wings or Blue Jackets. This is about the business of the Red Wings and the Blue Jackets.

Maybe the idea should be to put the Boston Bruins in the Central Division. They can be division mates with the Blues, Blackhawks, Predators and Jets. And instead of the Bruins playing nine games outside of their time zone like they've done for years, they can play 8 games in the Pacific Time Zone, 8 games in the Mountain Time Zone and 16 games in the Central Time Zone.

Then you'll see how the ratings go down for Bruins away games over time. Then you'll see Bruins fans complaining about being the only Eastern Time Zone team in the Western Conference.

And that is specifically why keeping the six-division alignment is no longer an option.
I'm not disagreeing with most of that. But I'd like to ask this question: Is there no significant NHL business west of the ET-CTZ boundary?
For players, would playing in the western Conferences have any potential ill-effects on their potential for getting higher salaries? I mean, part of any products saleability is the market presence that it receives.