View Single Post
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by tazzy19 View Post
Wow, this is a bold claim. Sure, Mario was amazing in his prime. But Gretzky's prime? I'll let the results speak for themselves. Mario doesn't even crack the top 4 point seasons of all time, or the top 7 assist seasons of all time (all of those belong to Gretzky in either case). Goals? Mario doesn't even crack the top 3 (Gretzky owns the top 2). PPG over a season? Gretzky owns the top 2 as well. Mario's fabled 160 point season in 60 games? Gretzky had 175 in 60 games in 83-84. How about 8 straight MVP awards (and 9 in 10 years)? That's a pretty nifty prime, I would say. And let's not talk about the playoffs....cause then it just gets out of hand in Gretzky's favour.
Of course Gretzky had a more successful prime than Lemieux. Anyone can plainly see that. I think his point is that Lemieux, individually, in his prime was a better player than Gretzky.

You can certainly make a valid argument one way or the other. Lemieux didn't have the same amount of talent surrounding him Gretzky had, and couldn't stay healthy, so there are and always will be the "what if" scenarios. Gretzky however, actually accomplished what Lemieux only "could" have done when placed under different circumstances.

5 In-Their-Prime Lemieuxs on the ice vs. 5 In-Their-Prime Gretzkys, the end result is likely a close (very, very high scoring ) game.

You take Gretzky if you're starting a team tomorrow? Personally I'd take Lemieux. It's closer than you make it out to be, and I can't say a bad thing about your choice. Wayne's results do indeed clearly speak for themselves. It just comes down to personal preference I suppose.