Old
02-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
@guerzy.

I believe the plan is still to have intra conference playoffs. And that's a huge selling point to me. You get to play your divisional opponents in playoffs how it should be. That's how rivalries are truly created. Right now you end with boring matches between teams barely care about one another. This is not the 80's super stupid 4/5 make playoffs though, here is 4/7 so it won't be exactly same teams like then, this still gives lots of leeway. Perfect mix for me.
Thanks, Holden.

I see your points here, and tend to agree. If we were to get in some good match-ups during the regular season vs. Chicago, Minnesota, etc.. even a team like St. Louis, then have a playoff round or two or three with them over the years, surely some form of rivalry is going to build there, I would think.

And honestly, when it comes down to it, rivalries are born and form a true identity on the ice, not in the media. I understand and fully agree the media helps, but you can only build something up so much that it has to happen on the ice for it to be worth a damn. And once we begin seeing these teams consistently, and meeting them in the playoffs, something is bound to happen.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote