Thread: Speculation: Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk
View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
interesting the two comps I would like to see is Boston and LA. Seems like neither one of these teams built their foundation with early draft picks although getting a franchise defenseman like Chara in free agency is almost like getting a 1st overall draft choice.

Chicago and Pittsburgh both had elite young talent driven by high draft choices over a few seasons. Detroit was just really good for a long time based on a very talented core.

I am not doubting you Holden but did LA actually bottom out at any point (not a rhetorical question I didn't watch hockey for a few years) because other than Doughty they seemed to build a nice base with “no man’s land” picks no
LA got tremendous value from Brown and Kopitar. Missed with Hickey, but scored big with doughty and used Schenn to acquire Richards, as everyone knows.

You have to get extremely lucky in the 9-14 picks. LA did, but also added some great pieces in FA. Oh, and having Quick be unbeatable in the playoffs didn't hurt either. .

Those examples are few and very far between. And you have to be extremely lucky, imo.

Jets may have picked well with Scheifele and Trouba, we'll see in a few years. Another high pick, that turns out to be a gem, wouldn't hurt. .