View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
TSK, I've already shown that Koivu is a top 30 point producing center in the NHL. By definition, that makes him a top line center. No, he's not elite. But he's a top line center.
Top line center sure, but he's not an elite center but being paid for one. The other problem is that it is looking more and more like his 71 point season is an anomaly. We were paying him for potential that just isn't there.

Quote:
It makes no sense to trade Koivu. Why would you do it? You're not going to get a player better than him in the deal. Just some spare parts. He's under contract long term and still in his prime.
Why? To wake up this team? To tell the team, we're going in an absolutely different direction and that it's time to move on past the Koivu era of this team. We moved on from the Gaborik era. We may not be able to get a better player now in a trade but it would open up so much cap room for this team to look for another player. Hell, ask Capitals what they want for Backstrom and see. They need a good scrubbing.

Quote:
Are you going to turn that top line center spot over to Brodziak? He was our top line center half of last year and scored a whopping 44 points. Which is what Mikko scored in 55 games. Brodziak played 82. Oh yeah, and Mikko was a +10 while Brodz was a -15.
Why not turn it over to Granlund? Everyone is clamoring him to take up the top line spot anyways.

Quote:
Literally the only thing he doesn't do is score goals. He sets them up. That's fine. Put goal scorers on the line with him. Put Seto on that right wing. I'll forgive Koivu for only getting 15 goals a year if his linemates combine for 50+.
I don't. He needs to score at least 20-25 yearly, especially at what he's getting paid. But he's either injured or not producing. He's not shooting the puck when we need him to. And he's going to lose a step or two.

Quote:
You say you want this team to get better but you want to trade one of the best forwards on the team? How exactly does that make the team better again?
By giving this team a new identity and a new plan. Instead of building around a two-way defensive center, build around a dynamic scorer in Parise. By waking this team up. By freeing up cap room. I see this like Boston. Good years but never really taking the next step.

Quote:
Because we need to rebuild? What have we ever built? Who are the aging cornerstones of the team? We already moved off all the old players. Gaborik and Brunette and Schultz and Walz and everyone from the mid 2000's.
We don't need to rebuild but retool.

Quote:
We're still building. We brought in Parise and Suter and Havlat. Moved Havlat, Burns, and Schultz for Heatley, Setoguchi, Coyle, and Gilbert. We drafted Granlund, Zucker, Larsson, Dumba, Phillips, Bulmer, and some very good goalies.
And that's the problem. We've moved so many players and yet nothing is fitting because we are building around the wrong player.

Quote:
Does Mikko need to step it up? Hell yes he does. He has 3 points in his last 11 games. But he had 8 points in the previous 6 games. But so does Parise. He has 3 points in his last 12 games. But he had 9 points in the previous 5 games.
I'm giving more of a leeway to Parise only because he's new and the team isn't built around him. Furthermore, Koivu is suppose to be the play maker on the front line. Set up the plays and get people producing. The catalyst of the offense and he isn't. He has as many goals as Cullen and Setoguchi.

PP is an issue and Yeo is looking like an issue but the fact that this team tried to respond by having a team only meeting, and this is the result? I still question where the leadership is on this team. Words can only mean so much. They need to put up or shut up.