View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Again, I think it's important that I say first that I don't want to sound like I'm against Detroit being in an eastern Conference. But now, how does Detroit being in an eastern Conference help TV ratings for all the teams in the West? You're talking about improving Detroit's ratings, while likely hurting the ratings of a whole lot of teams in the West.

In fact, how has having all the ETZ teams (other than Detroit and Columbus) separated from the Rest of the League helped those non-ETZ teams with better TV ratings?
I think local ratings are helped when the team is it's "native" time zone, and this would work both ways. For the Wings, the real "lift" would be be in the DET metro area where a much higher % of the games would be on in "prime time" compared to the 10:30pm-2:00am time slot for a PTZ game. However, that works both ways, and I have to think that for example the Sharks ratings take a hit when there is a 4:00 PM PTZ start in DET as well. Under the "new" proposal, I think that the all the Conferences are within one time zone, and most are in the same.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the loss of the Wings would negatively impact western conference team TV ratings. Loss at the gate - sure, because people are more likely to spend direct $'s for a premier product, but less likely to have the opponent impact their decision to watch the game on TV.