Thread: Marian Gaborik
View Single Post
02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
vCash: 500
My take:

When a player can't back up defenders with speed, can't stick-handle around them, can't win a battle along the boards and isn't strong enough to seriously battle in front of the net, its tough to be effective except in certain situations.

Gaborik is great at finding openings around the net and can fire a nice shot off the rush but there is not much that he does otherwise that keeps the opposition honest. If he has the puck and is not within a few feet of the net with a shooting lane, defenders just pressure him and he often turns it over.

Nothing but respect for the player. Not just playing but scoring some big goals with a separated shoulder in the playoffs is enough for me not to question his heart.

But his playing style has always driven me crazy and when you factor in injury concerns and cap hit I would not be too upset if they moved him, assuming the return was good.

For the record I agree with Chosens list. Lundqvist, our big 3 D, and Nash are more vital, at least in my opinion. Callahan also, though his play has been somewhat... off this year as well. And you can even make an argument for Richards who, after a lousy start, was the more consistent player at both ends of the ice for the final 2/3 of last season and the playoffs. But who knows what his deal is.