View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
@guerzy.

I believe the plan is still to have intra conference playoffs. And that's a huge selling point to me. You get to play your divisional opponents in playoffs how it should be. That's how rivalries are truly created. Right now you end with boring matches between teams barely care about one another. This is not the 80's super stupid 4/5 make playoffs though, here is 4/7 so it won't be exactly same teams like then, this still gives lots of leeway. Perfect mix for me.
You're correct that this ratio will make for more variety on how things turn out. BUT... Top 8 should be top 8. The Jets would likely have made it to round 2 or further a few more times in the 80's had the format been top 8 back then. In 85 we had the 4th best record in the entire league (96 pts)... and we had to play the tied for 5th best team (Calgary 92 pts) in the first round (who we beat) only to run into #2 Edmonton (109) in the next round. That means we would have had a good chance to make the conference final that year. In reality we should have played Detroit (66 pts) or maybe LA (82 pts) in the first round. Face off with Calgary in the 2nd round and then accept our fate against the Oilers in the Conference finals.

I also think that the division leaders should only be guaranteed a top 8 spot not a top 3. The idea is to have the BEST teams make it as far as possible. A return to the old playoff format is a step backwards in that regard.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote