View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
There has been a dip in actual shot blocking this season, but the shot blocking mentality is still perceived or taught to be the main game plan. And I think that's where some of this loss of identity started: With the loss of guys who were some big blockers for us, we expected the new comers to fill those spots and it didn't happen. So why not just scratch the idea that shot blocking is going to be the team's forte? I don't mind if some of them excel at it and want to, but maybe we don't need 3 guys sliding around in front of Lundqvist/Biron in an attempt to block a shot (which, due to Ranger luck, inevitably deflects off one of those blockers ).

The icings aren't really as much of a problem as instinctively tossing the puck away. I don't know, the Rangers tend to look very anxious/nervous in their own zone when there's the slightest bit of pressure compared to other teams.

As far as oversimplifying shooting/passing, I don't understand? Getting shots through is and has been one of our biggest problems, they have to find a way to get some of those shots through traffic to some extent and then fight for the rebound/lose puck. Passes seem to get flubbed relatively often with this team (whether in the neutral zone or offensive zone) and I absolutely understand that not every single pass is going to be perfect and not every single pass recipient is going to perfectly catch every pass, but it just seems like the frequency should be a lot lower.
I think shot blocking is part of grinding. What I mean by this is when you're out there I think it would be awfully hard to think about grinding minus shot blocking. It's part of the mindset, the attitude. And I think it's what we need, it's what made us great last year. If we try to play like the blackhawks we'll just get beaten by the blackhawks (among others) who do that much better than we would be able to. However, last year showed the core of this team can grind out wins better than just about anyone.

With what I mean by you oversimplifying shooting/passing I just meant that I thought the conclusions you drew were too strong. I think the general point was right, but it didn't have as far reaching implications as you outlined. I thought you didn't leave much room for when we do those things right, and we have done them right at times this year. We're a bubble playoff team right now, not a bottom feeder.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote