View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Nihiliste

vCash: 500
While this season has been an abject failure, and I'm extremely critical of Sherman, Foppa is right that things can turn around in a hurry with the right moves. St. Louis looked like they were treading water or regressing, then made a series of smart moves (acquired a real goaltender in Halak, EJ trade, depth signings of Arnott/Langenbrunner/Nichol) and were in contention the next season.

Despite Sherman's many failings (retaining Sacco, no goalie coach, overpaying in trades, failing to sign a core RFA, assembling the worst defense in the league) we are still sitting in a reasonable position. I think this offseason is pretty make or break for us - with Stastny looking less and less like a core component of the future and O'reilly holding out, this is a critical juncture for the team. Within a year we could wind up with one quality center, or with the right moves and luck we can keep ourselves in a good position.

If we can get a good return for O'reilly (quality Dman+), and have the good fortune to draft Barkov or Lindholm (I have them 4&6 respectively) that along with the continued progression of Barrie will go a long way to shoring up our D corps/transition game and also give us some flexibility going forward with Stastny (who I hope we can retain at a lower price).

I think in the end all management teams make mistakes - the Kings wasted a #4 pick on Thomas Hickey and employed an ineffective coach for far too long, but managed to put it all together in the end. We need to continue drafting strong so that we can have the assets to make key moves going forward like they did (Richards&Carter deals). In the meantime we need to see more from Sherman in the mould of bringing in complimentary, but effective, pieces like the Stoll/Greene trade and Mitchell/Scuderi signings.