ES-Goals: 4, 5, 8, 9, 14
PP-Goals: 9, 11, 17
SH-Goals: 3, 8, 9, 9, 14

Among teammates:

Goals: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 4

Quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoH
Having an all-star defenseman for a brother convinced the younger Pronovost that playing a well-rounded brand of hockey with defense as a foundation was the best way to insure success.
[...]
In 1968, however, the Bruins committed a serious error when they sold Pronovost to the Pittsburgh Penguins. With the Pens, his full potential came to the surface. Over the next ten seasons, he was a pillar of consistency, cruising his lane with speed and determination, defending against foes, digging into corners, making smart passes, and picking up the big goals.

In 1975-76, on a line with Syl Apps, Jr. and Lowell McDonald, he achieved the pinnacle of his career when he scored 52 goals in 80 games. In 1978, Pronovost was traded to the Atlanta Flames for Gregg Sheppard. In Georgia, Pronovost continued to play his usual rock-solid, two-way game. But the club failed to generate even a hint of contending for the Cup?the one elusive achievement lacking in his career
Quote:
Originally Posted by "100 Things Penguins Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Rick Buker
...Pronovost developed into a solid all-around player who paid equal attention to his offensive and defensive chores.
[...]
Despite his lofty production Pronovost never strayed from his two-way foundation.A complete player, 6'0 185-pounder worked the corners and back checked with authority, qualities that endeared him to the Steel City faithful. "Let's go, Pronovost" was a popular chant at the Civic Arena throughout the 1970s.

When Ron Schock was traded in the fall of 1977 Prony assumed the captain's "C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl Apps Jr.
He [Pronovost] was underrated dedicated player who rarely had an off game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pittsburgh Penguins by Mark Stewart
Pronovost was excellent all-around player and the first Penguin to score 100 points.
[...]
Whenever team needed a big goal Pronovost seemed to get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lewiston Daily Sun - Mar. 4, 1975
Quick, who's the fourth leading goal-scorer in the National Hockey League? Well, er, uh, let's see. There's Phil Esposito and Guy Lafleur and Rick Martin and, er, uh...

Jean Pronovost. Jean Pronovost?

Surely you must be aware of Jean Pronovost, the Pittsburgh Penguins' high-scoring right wing. He is so well-known that a feature story about him a recent issue of "Goal," the NHL's program-magazine, was accompanied by a picture...of teammate Lowell MacDonald.

"The lack of publicity doesn't bother me," said the 29-year old native of Shawinigan Falls, Que.

"I'm not a flashy-type player," said Jean. "I just go up and down my wing and do my job."

He also was named the Penguins' most valuable player [last season].

"Maybe people do underrate him, but we'll gladly keep him," said Coach Marc Boileau. "Maybe he's not noticeable out there because he just goes about his job but you look at the statistics after each game and you'll see he's got a goal here, an assist there..."

"I think Pronie belongs in the Martin-Lafleur class as a scoring wing. But no one says anything about him. He's taken for granted. He deserves a little more recognition."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Calgary Herald - Apr. 2, 1978
Pronovost and Hickey have been the Canadians' No. 1 penalty-killing forward tandem, and Pronovost has been used on the power play...

Pronovost said he enjoys the heavy workload because he loves to skate and feels he's a good skater. "The style they play in Europe is my style. They give you more room to operate and you can do a lot of things - zigzag, come back - that's my game."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette - Dec. 29, 1976
Pronovost is in a peculiar situation in Pittsburgh. He is a bona fide all-star and last year he became the first Penguin in history to chalk up a 50-goal season. ... Yet he has never been happy in Pittsburgh. He would love to play for Montreal and there was an attempt made last year to effect just such a move. But the Penguins' management wanted Larry Robinsonin return and that put an end to those talks.

DoMakc is offline   Reply With Quote