View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I'm a big Spurs fan, and loving Bale so far this year. He is on another level and an early candidate for the 2013 Ballon D'or.

I don't see why it's a forgone conclusion he's going to leave. Tottenham is a legit top 4 team in England, and would have been in CL this year after finishing 4th last year, if not for Chelsea winning it all and taking their berth away. It's not like their recent success is a fluke, they have been trending upwards for a while and have only added better pieces every year. Expect them to become England's version of Borussia Dortmund, a mediocre club who trends upwards and becomes a serious league and CL contender.

Soccer fans tend to be so closed minded when it comes to a new team doing well. Some people seem to have the impression that there are only a few clubs in Europe where you can succeed (Barca, Madrid, Man U, Bayern, Milan, and now Man City).
I would argue that the players are the ones who fuel this kind of thinking. If Modric, Van Persie, Fabregas etc weren't enticed by the thought of playing on the world's biggest stages and winning the biggest trophies, they wouldn't have left their clubs to do so. When they were growing up, did they dream of winning the Champion's League for Hajduk or Southhampton? 4th is about as high as Spurs will get in the near future, and is that good enough for the 3rd best player in the world?

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote