View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Or we could just keep him and live with it for another year. It's not as if we're going to find a backup who's a whole lot better.

Backups are backups for a reason. Not a lot separates them. The quality of their play is usually dependent on the system/how the team in front of them performs.

Clemmer has some weaknesses, but he's an NHL backup. He gets more undeserved criticism than any player on this team.

Weak 5-hole and all, I think if you ask any NHL fan if they would take a guy who's gone 15-7-9 with a ~91save%/2.6 GAA on mediocre teams the past two years, just about everyone would say "sure, why not?"

I'm starting to think there's a reason he was signed for two years. Tallon probably knows Theodore is likely retiring after the year. Not a bad idea to have a goalie on the team backing up Markstrom who knows the team's system.
I could live with Clemmer next season, but it's not the ideal situation and there will definitely be better backups out there. I just worry that if Markstrom struggles for a bit, and then Clemmer has one of his periods where he struggles mightily, then it could get really ugly.

I think there is definitely a difference between Biron, Vokoun, Garon, Enroth etc. and the likes of Clemmer or LaBarbara. We could definitely use an upgrade.

Clemmer can go through some stretches where he looks really good, but he can also go through stretches where he looks like the worst goalie in the league. At the end of the day, I guess the stats even out, but it's his erratic performance that I worry about. I know what Tallon was planning when he signed him for two seasons, but I don't think Clemmer has lived up to his expectations. He did play a good game in Philly though. I would say I hope he continues to turn it around, but that's contrary to the tank.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote