View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Spector wrote on article on the McD hit and lack of response today (link here) with some interesting quotes.

Honestly, I'd fancy myself one of the most optimistic NYR fans around here, but everyone's attitude shown in the quotes of this article is worrying. Not jumping in to defend their teammates was awful, trying to justify it like this is even worse IMO.

From Torts: "What are you asking, did they go out and go beat him up or something? Is that what you want to happen? Our team was fine. Our team was fine. You have to remember, we are trying to win a hockey game. I read a couple of comments about how you guys get carried away with that stuff. I have full faith in the toughness of our team and how we're going to handle those type of situations."

From Cally: "We just kept playing. You can't take a penalty when we're down 1-0 at the time. You'll find your places for that, but I don't think at that time, it was there."

From Staal: "Our focus went on ... trying to reverse the ship and get back into the game. Obviously, you don't forget about things like that, and we'll play them again. ... I think every game or every hit, the situation is different in what happens afterward."

Just awful in my opinion. What on earth happened to these guys this offseason? They were missing a ton of the roster and playing in an arena that they haven't won in for years. The chances of winning this game were pretty low. If anything, getting into some physicality and waking everyone up might have helped them play with some fire and recapture some of last year's tenacity. You absolutely can and should take a penalty in that situation, especially when your team is lacking attitude.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote