View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 07:37 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I think shot blocking is part of grinding. What I mean by this is when you're out there I think it would be awfully hard to think about grinding minus shot blocking. It's part of the mindset, the attitude. And I think it's what we need, it's what made us great last year. If we try to play like the blackhawks we'll just get beaten by the blackhawks (among others) who do that much better than we would be able to. However, last year showed the core of this team can grind out wins better than just about anyone.

With what I mean by you oversimplifying shooting/passing I just meant that I thought the conclusions you drew were too strong. I think the general point was right, but it didn't have as far reaching implications as you outlined. I thought you didn't leave much room for when we do those things right, and we have done them right at times this year. We're a bubble playoff team right now, not a bottom feeder.
I agree with this partially. I think people see Richards, Gaborik, Nash and think we have the talent to play CHI style hockey. Richards is a shadow of himself right now, Nash is out, and Gabby doesn't look quite right either. Aside from them, we've got Step and Hagelin playing well and Callahan who is capable of getting nearly 30 goals in good circumstances. That's not a Chicago roster at all.

On the other hand, last year's team could grind out wins better than everyone, but there's been a lot of turnover. Too much to play that strategy well? That's the question.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote