View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Personally, I disagree. They might be better, but I don't think the gap is significant enough to just absorb Clemmer's remaining salary.

My brother is a Rangers fan and I've seen threads on these boards with the same complaints about Biron that we have about Clemmer. Weak 5-hole, terrible in shootouts.

Garon is 35, and I just don't see a reason to do that. Clemmer actually has better career #'s, although Garon has played for some terrible teams, to be fair.

Vokoun has gained many skeptics since his departure here, as many question his ability to win big games, etc. He's better than Clemmer, but he's also pretty erratic, as well.

Enroth might be interesting since he's 24 and has some upside, but he'll probably cost more than Clemmer.

I think what it boils down to is how many games they expect from Markstrom next year. If it's a 1A/1B type of thing, they might want to get a better goalie. But if Markstrom is going to start about 60 games, Clemmer has proven he can certainly handle 20-25 and do pretty well for a team.
We agree to disagree then. There is definitely a noticeable difference between high-end and low-end backups. Whether it justifies buying out Clemmer, well maybe not since the Panthers are cheap.

While I'm sure he has his own flaws, Biron is definitely better than Clemmer. Anyways, I'm not saying we should sign any of the guys I listed. I'm just making the point that not all backup goalies are interchangeable. This is actually a good crop of UFA backups.

I don't know how they would know how many games to expect from Markstrom next season. He's a young goalie who's going to be the starter for a full season for the first time. It's very feasible he could have one or two stretches where he struggles. It would be ideal to have another goalie who could spell him and give solid play while Marky takes the bench for awhile. I just don't think Clemmer is that ideal guy.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote