View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yes. Other teams do dump and chase, but not all the time. Good teams will carry the puck over the blue line much, much more than the Wild do. If all you do is dump and chase, the other team will just stop moving and block your forecheck. If you mix it up sometimes and handle the puck, they have to respect the option and keep moving. Wild don't mix it up nearly enough.
Russo's looking into this whole thing:

Quote:
As I wrote on the blog a few weeks ago, fans seem to be tweeting me more and more with frustration about Mike Yeo’s “system” – which is fan lingo for how often the Wild dumps and chases.

As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Wild’s gameplan is no different than most every team in the league. If the D is gapping up and the only alternative will be to turn the puck over at the offensive blue line (Terry Murray used to tell me two worst places to turn over a puck are at the blue lines), the Wild is supposed to dump the puck.

The problem hasn’t been the dumping. It’s the chasing.

The problem is the team hasn’t done a consistent enough job with its forecheck to either get the puck back with proper placement or going to work once it gets the puck back behind the opposing D. It takes committed courage and effort and physicality to go get that puck and go to work with it.

Zach Parise started laughing when I told him today that fans are ripping the Wild’s system.

“We went to the Finals dumping and chasing [with New Jersey],” Parise said.

Not only that, the Final Four in the NHL last year dumped and chased – Los Angeles, Phoenix, Rangers and Devils. The Penguins won a Cup a few years ago by dumping and chasing.

That’s a fact. You can hate it, but that’s just the way the NHL is played.

The point of dumping and chasing, especially early in games, is to soften up the defense for later in games so either the D doesn’t want to go get that puck or they’re backing up and you can actually carry it in.

So I’ll write more about that in Tuesday’s paper, so please give it a read. Real good stuff from Parise and Mikko Koivu.