View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Liles was never that good. Dude simply wasn't worth more than a second. A pretty average #4 PMD. Poor defensively, above average in transition, extremely soft, above average power play quarterback.

Honestly, when we weren't on the powerplay, Liles didn't bring that much other than some good zone exits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Uh, why not keep him?
For me it's pretty much what Alex Jones talks about in his post. Liles was a classic catch 22 because he needed minutes to be effective but wasn't worth the minutes he played, in my opinion. I don't think his offensive abilities really made up for his average defensive play. Already earning $4.2M and after what Wisniewski signed for, Liles was set for a big pay day as an upcoming UFA. Surprisingly, he decided to re-up with the Leafs for less than what he was making.

Liles played his best hockey when he came into the league and played beside a guy like Rob Blake. That really allowed him to creep up and get quite a few goals with that 'backdoor play'. After Blake left, Liles was much less effective. I remember him lugging the puck up the ice and going through some guys only to take a low percentage shot on the goalies crest. I certainly don't miss that.