View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't know how you can say that. He put up top 5 centre numbers in Dallas. Wasn't always playing at an elite level but he never played at an elite level in New York.
He had one really good year playing with an up and coming sniper on one wing and one of the game's most well-rounded two-way wingers on the other. His next season was pretty good as well but what about 2008-09? He also played some of the most PP minutes by any player in the league during his most productive years in Dallas.

I imagine his numbers falling in New York has less to do with waning desire than it has to do with the type of team defense his new team demands. As far as desire and consistency, he put up some good numbers in Dallas but his effort was always hit or miss. He got really revved up to play offense though, I'll give you that. He made Ribeiro look like a checking center at times.

Regarding the greater New York sports scene, I'm a fan of the big four sports so feel I can weigh in here. From what I've seen it's not so much that players shrink under the bright lights, though you could say that about a few (especially where the Yankees are concerned). What I've seen is that often New York teams seem to be really concerned about perception of their fanbases and don't want to be seen as the team that isn't pro-active about bringing in attractions to the zoo. They got Richards, the belle of the ball during that summer, but what they really got was a player on the wrong side of 30 with recent injury issues. When the Yankees bring in a guy with a big name who is obviously going to begin his descent from the prime of his career it doesn't mean that guy shrank from the media attention, it means the team bought a player with a name to show off to less-than-knowledgeable fans that they're trying trying trying. When the Yankees bring in a prime Alex Rodriguez they get MVP numbers.