View Single Post
Old
02-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
He was a 48th overall pick in a weak draft class. To describe the pick as "failed and disastrous" is, quite frankly, asinine. He was a promising player at one time, whose career was unfortunately derailed by a major concussion, and that's really all there is to say about the guy.

If your goal is simply to indict the Flames and their drafting record (as this is HF and that's what we do here, whether it's warranted or not), Greg Nemisz is a much better example. That was a questionable pick right from the outset.
I don't know if I'd classify the 2008 draft class as weak.

Also found a detailed article on what happened with Wahl when he was reassigned to Hamilton (and later to the ECHL). He calls it a "misunderstanding."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...905/story.html
Quote:
The Flames dispatched Wahl to Hamilton on a loan, but he ended up coming back to the Calgary organization when that didn’t work out and dropped down to Utah.

“It was kind of a weird deal,” he said. “I think there was a misunderstanding between myself and management and with my agent and that. But it is what it is at this point. It’s gone. It’s history.

“The whole loan thing wasn’t something anyone really wanted to happen. But it did happen, and I didn’t get an opportunity in Hamilton, I wouldn’t say.

“I felt like it was kind of a waste of time for me there . . .”

In Utah, Wahl registered 40 points in 38 games, and he’s hoping to use that as a springboard back to the AHL. But the competition is fierce up the middle in Abbotsford, and Wahl will be hard-pressed to win one of just four spots.

Compounding matters, the Flames didn’t invite Wahl to their summer development camp.

“To be honest, I’m just here being myself,” he said. “I haven’t spoken a whole lot with them. I haven’t talked to them a lot over the summer.

“I don’t know where I stand, really. There’s a lot of guys here. But I’m here working hard, and hopefully I can earn a spot and see where that takes me.”

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote