HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings
View Single Post
02-25-2013, 10:50 PM
NHL Dude 120
Join Date: Jun 2011
I wrote something like this in another thread but i thought it would be relevant, if and when the NHL does align they should make it so that all teams will
- Have played in every arena once
- even distribution of teams in every division
- allow for inter-conference playoffs, I may be a new fan but its kinda annoying that eastern conference teams play, well eastern conference teams. this probably wouldn't happen but it kinda annoys me. I'd like to see more rivals develop.
- Have games start at 7:00 ( in the time zones) in order to allow eastern teams to watch western games.
- Five divisions of 6 teams. Each team plays each other home and away three times. total of 30 division games played by each team. I've calculated that there would be a total of 90 games per division. for a total of 450 division games.
- Furthermore there would be inter-division games, each team plays each other home and away. 24 home and 24 away games. that totals up to 576 home and 576 away games for a whopping 1152 games.
- that's a total of 1602 games a season.
- I've also accounted for Phoenix relocating as well im assuming they move to Quebec. However this could also work if instead the team relocate to Hamilton
- Due note Dallas, Nashville Winnipeg, St.Louis, Chicago Colorado,Minnesota have different time zones i tried my best to find a compromise on that issue. Some of them will play earlier instead.
-Teams who are playing in a different time Zone will be eased into the changes I.e San Jose wont play say Montreal then Vancouver they would play (in no order at all) Toronto Detroit New York(either ISL or RAN) to ease them into the time Zone. this way travel is not as bad.
Here are the Divisions(I'm making up names)
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Art Ross Division:
Rocket Richard Division:
3 for a regulation win
2 for an 1st overtime win
1 for an 2nd overtime point
1 for a shootout win
0 points for a loss
- Winning your division doesn't guarantee a playoff berth, only placing in the top 16 will assure a playoff berth.
- to help with travel, all playoff series will be a best on five.
- I though of after the season finishing there could be a Draw to announce the playoff series, but that was scrapped so, i guess we'll keep the 1 vs 16 2 vs 15 3 vs 14 and etc again higher seed gets to play at home. the winners will then move on so lets say 1 beats 16 and 2 beats 15 , 2 plays 15.
- Heres an example ( I'll assume the higher seed wins too make my point easier)
1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 09
1 vs 2
3 vs 4
5 vs 6
7 vs 8
1 vs 3
5 vs 7
round 4 ( SCF)
1 vs 5
- only teams who finish last have a chance at a top five pick, to be fair though they can draft anywhere from 1 to five. this way the talent can be more spread out.
- Teams who have drafted 1st overall for three years will be swapped the second last place team in the division. i.e if Edmonton places last in their division this season they would only be able to draft anywhere from 6 to 11, the second last team in their division lets say Calgary is the second last ( based on current NHL standings) they would be swapped with Edmonton in the draft lottery because lets face it, its kind of sad if you need three 1st overalls.
- Picks 15-30 don't change remain status quo.
to illustrate my point
using current NHL standings but incorporating my realignment idea in no particular order for the top ten picks
7. New York I
9. Columbus (LA)
10. * Phoenix
note 1. Because based on the current standings phoenix is a borderline playoff team it wouldn't be fair to have a playoff team get a top five pick the worst preforming division would get the top five pick.
Now for picks 11-14 the remaining highest ranking playoff teams will now get picks 11-14
-for all those saying it's confusing i'll agree there are some holes . i'm open to changing the draft ranks provided that no division is guaranteed the entire top five picks. my intention is to ensure the talent is distributed evenly throughout the divisions. teams can still trade picks of course. Although if it were up to me i'd get rid of the draft entirely.
Last edited by NHL Dude 120: 02-25-2013 at
. Reason: additonal stuff
NHL Dude 120
View Public Profile
NHL Dude 120's albums
Find More Posts by NHL Dude 120