View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
The young talent? Couture, Burns (who can't stay healthy), and Vlasic (who can't make an outlet pass to save his life) is the extent of the young talent.

I think that when you're in a rebuild, you make certain decisions. You go for the moral victories instead of the points. You go for learning situations instead of winning situations. The first year of the tanks is maximizing the value of your tradable assets. From then on, it's developing the young kids, but giving them butter soft minutes, slowing transitioning them to harder minutes, sitting them, riding them, doing whatever it takes to turn them into the most productive players they can be. And you have to be dedicated to them, or you've messed up your team for nothing.

It's an incredibly different style of management and coaching than we're used to, because we've constantly been contenders, doing everything in our power to win.

But you have to go young player-first, Joe Thornton-second, in order for a rebuild to work, and I don't think that would end well. Mostly because the coaches have too much respect for Joe, and a decent amount of fear of him, to do that.
But then this team would have a functional Joe Thornton on it? I'm sorry but this just sounds like managerial incompetence, if someone even considered squandering an asset like the San Jose Sharks like this they should not find themselves anywhere near the reins of a business this large.

No team has done this that I know of, taken a previously strong team and intentionally screwed it up. Rebuilds usually follow the leavings or retirements of significant portions of talent, or following years of poor results, followed by management turnover. But even then some of the most valuable assets are kept.

In other words, the reasons we are a strong team right now are the same reasons why we are a poor candidate for a blow-it-up style rebuild. The other side of the coin is that Thornton could be a very important part of a partial rebuild/reload. Maybe he can't clobber the best in the league anymore, but he can clobber most anyone else.

Last edited by Phu: 02-26-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote