View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 02:04 AM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Easy has been over it with you all time after time. Championship teams win with home-grown high-end forwards.

Kopitar and Brown led the Kings in scoring. Right place, right time team

Krejci and Bergeron led the Bruins in scoring. Chara/Thomas

Toews and Kane led the Hawks in scoring. Take those 2 away and they still were a REALLY good team, not championship, but good

Malkin and Crosby led the Penguins in scoring. If we could tank and be assured to get these 2 I'd have no problem, but...

Zetterberg and Datsyk led the Wings in scoring. Great team, these players don't support tanking theory based on draft position

Getzlaf and Perry led the Ducks in scoring. Pronger, Selanne, Nieds, and that 3rd line was crazy good

Eric Staal and Cory Stillman led the Hurricanes in scoring. Still wondering how they won, and how Cam Ward was so good for a month

Literally every team that has won the Cup between the last two lockouts, their top two scorers (and more than often top-3) have been home-grown, the only exception being Stillman, and that Canes team was a weird team.

We have Marleau/Couture/Pavelski/Clowe as our top home-grown Sharks forwards. Are any of them in the league of any of those duos, with exception to the Bruins who one because of Thomas, and of course Stillman? The answer is no, and another trend? They're all young, with the exception of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Marleau isn't Datsyuk or '08 Zetterberg, and Couture isn't Malkin/Crosby/Kopitar/Getzlaf/Staal/Toews/even Bergeron.

Suffice to say, this group isn't working.

And how do you get these young elite home-grown forwards? Draft them. With exception to the Detroit (special exception) and Boston (won because of Thomas) examples and this ****ing Stillman character, all of those forwards were drafted in the first round. Toews, Kane, Malkin, Crosby, Kopitar, Brown, Getzlaf, Perry, Staal.

Moreover, all those forwards were either great scouting, or top-3 picks. Since we aren't a great first-round scouting organization, there's one solution remaining. As long as those forwards don't have to go through Sommer, we're good.

We need to do that, since our current group isn't doing it.
All true, but I'm not going to waste the time going over every team with multiple good homegrown players and/or lots of top 5 picks that doesn't work for. In addition I can name great non-homegrown players on every one of those teams as well.

Obviously getting great young forwards is a must, but I'm not sure I'm willing to trade Thornton for only the chance of that happening. If he's ok with it I'd rather build around him, and send our other vets packing for picks and prospects.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote