View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 02:35 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Yes, but a further examination breaks this idea down. Pronger and Niedermayer were incredibly valuable to the Ducks in their cup run, as were Thomas and Chara for Boston.

If anything, the key benefit of homegrown talent is that it is cheaper.
I revised my original from long ago and made the point that cup winning goalies and dmen could much, much more easily be bought or acquired in trade. The change in the original came with a hypothesis as to why.

Juan,
It isn't just the 7 years Jux gave, I looked farther back than that. It was overwhelming. The top offensive players on playoff winners are tilted dramatically to homegrown. It is not unusual for a winner to have a top guy who takes a step back while a homegrown lesser light steps up. Never the other way around.

Also as far as JT wanting to stay. If the Sharks wanted to go trap and transition, I could see JT and possibly even Patty not liking it. If they asked JT to gain a step in speed, I don't think he could answer the call either although he might try. I don't think the Sharks will go trap and transition without a major overhaul. Only Havlat and possibly Couture would look to be comfortable, maybe Pavs. It kills top line scoring.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote