Thread: Switzerland: National team discussion
View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 05:47 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
That's some disappointing center depth here. Bykov and Cunti didn't take the next step in their development and I wouldn't be comfortable with them making the team. I can't see Richard make it either, he reminds me of Niederreiter in 2010: dominant junior player but would be useless in the national team. Walker and Walser don't look like national team players to me, and Savary didn't have his best season either. Same for Trachsler, who could be the "default" choice for the 4th line.

That leaves us with the usual suspects: Plüss, Ambühl and maybe Jeannin who is doing fine with Fribourg. I would bet Plüss makes it, he's simply better than the other options. About Ambühl, I agree that in a perfect world he would be a good third line winger, but Switzerland simply hasn't six forward who are safe bets to outproduce him at the international level. And the fact that he showed good chemistry with both Brunner and Wick, who are locks for offensive spots, helps his case. Regarding his position, he did fine as a center for Krüger, and given the depth at center vs winger, using him out of position makes sense.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote